Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Services
To contribute to a sustained reduction in the use and abuse of alcohol, tobacco and other chemicals proven to be hazardous to human health and detrimental to community well-being by providing community programs and activities that will enhance and develop the lives of young people.
- ATOD Information and Resource Center: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM -4:00PM Free printed information on alcohol and drug use designed to educate and inform specific segments of the community as well as the general population.
- Video Lending Library: Monday-Friday, 9:00AM – 1:00PM Houses over 150 videos on Alcohol and Drug use and Prevention and Treatment modalities, that can be utilized as teaching resources for group and individual counseling sessions.
- Sponsors Youth Drug Abuse prevention programs in collaboration with East Baton Rouge Housing Authority which focuses on the improvement of educational basic skills and character for youth ages 6 – 12 years of age.
- Refers individuals to various agencies or facilities providing detoxification, outpatient treatment, long and/or short term in-patient treatments and aftercare programs.
- Free condom distribution site.
Youth and Family Program
Millennium Kids Club
(This program is currently NOT in session.)
- An alcohol, tobacco, and other drug prevention program for youth ages 6 through 12 years old, which aims at preventing the use of substances and promoting character developement through education while providing fun activities to enrich the lives of youth based on the “Character Counts” curriculum.
Strengthening Families Program
- This program is one of the most powerful family programs in the country, because it involves both parent and child. The program’s purpose is to improve family relations and parenting skill within the family unit, in addition to reducing high-risk behaviors among youth.
Community Workshops and Special Events
- Since 2000, O’Brien House has sponsored an annual conference on substance abuse, recovery programs, and out-patient treatment services. This conference provides other halfway houses with up-to-date information, support, and training.
I’m A Good Kid, Too Youth Festival
- This is a drug prevention event thanking and encouraging youth for making good, healthy lifestyle choices such as saying no to drugs, staying in school, and respecting parents and adults. This festival also recognizes the national Red Ribbon program which honors the memory of DEA agent Enrique “Kiki” Camerena and his dedication in creating a drug-free America.
Single Mother’s Conference
- This conference was designed as a new initiative that will provide information and services to single mothers and grandmothers in our family programs, community, and church organizations.
Preventing Destructive Behaviors
Prevent Destructive Behaviors!
Promote Healthy Lifestyles!
"Once you realize how valuable you are, you will find it hard to keep the company of those who do not."
Written in 2015 by Brian G. Jett --- Kentucky
O'Brien House would like to thank everyone for coming out to our Open House and tour of the J.P. Lamar Female Dormitory. We are working hard to offer the females in our community excellent support and care.